Recently a 16 year old Sunnyslope High School student, a pedestrian, was killed at Central and Glendale Avenues in Phoenix. Failure to yield by the two vehicles involved is being investigated in this fatality.
City of Phoenix Street Department data indicates that there’s an average of 18 crashes per year at that intersection, known for its high volume of traffic and the large number of people walking and biking in the area.
The City is looking into the intersection design, signal timing and to see if there are visibility issues. Further, the City of Phoenix data states that approximately 450 pedestrians are injured and 45 pedestrians are killed, yearly.
City of Phoenix statistics further reveal that there is:
• One fatal collision every 3 days
• One bicyclist hit every 18 hours
• One pedestrian hit every 16 hours
• One collision every 23 minutes
• One traffic injury every 44 minutes
• One DUI related collision every 8 hours