If you have been injured while walking on the sidewalks or streets of Glendale, a good pedestrian accident lawyer from Glendale, AZ may be able to help you get compensation for expenses related to your injury, as well as for your pain and suffering.
Phoenix and Glendale Pedestrian Accidents
A recent report from Smart Growth America ranks Arizona’s 7th Congressional District as the most dangerous place to walk in America. This area includes much of central and west Phoenix, as well as Glendale. Over 340 pedestrians were killed in the 7th District from 2008 to 2017. A pedestrian accident lawyer in Glendale, AZ can investigate potential negligence and evaluate claims for damages.
According to a report by the Arizona Department of Transportation, between 2016 and 2018, the number of crashes involving pedestrians increased by over 1,000 incidents. Between 2010 and 2017, half of the more than 1,300 pedestrians killed in Arizona were under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
Pedestrian injuries and deaths are equally affected by the design of the roads they happen on, as they are by decisions made by pedestrians.
Dangerous Arizona Streets
Between the dozens of Phoenix streets identified as having at least 10 serious collisions or 5 deaths, similar characteristics were pinpointed that make these roads dangerous for pedestrians and often cause pedestrian accidents that warrant a need for a lawyer that is licensed to protect the rights of accident victims in Glendale, AZ. These characteristics include but are not limited to:
- Five lanes of travel
- Speed limits of 40 mph or higher
- More pedestrian deaths that occurred away from intersections with traffic signals
- Streets have not been redesigned in at least two decades
The majority of pedestrians who are killed are hit when they cross a “midblock,” (an area outside of a marked crosswalk) on a stretch of road designed to allow for higher speeds.
In the tragic event that a family member has died because of a pedestrian accident in Glendale, AZ a good lawyer may be able to get the deceased’s surviving family members compensation for expenses related to their loved one’s accident, as well as for their loss.
According to a study conducted by the AAA foundation, in accidents involving a pedestrian that is hit by a vehicle traveling 40 mph, the pedestrian is killed approximately 45% of the time.
Pedestrian Safety Measures
Phoenix contains over 40 high-visibility pedestrian crossing signals, or HAWK signals, with officials planning to double that number by 2022. These signals appear similar to those of a standard traffic light, however, the three lights only turn on when a pedestrian presses a button. This activates the lights, which flash red, indicate that cars need to stop until the crosswalk clears.
In 2015, Glendale installed a HAWK signal on Bethany Home Road, just west of 59th Ave, where four people were seriously injured or killed in previous years. After the signal’s installment, no other pedestrians have died on that street. A pedestrian accident lawyer from Glendale can advise an AZ crash victim their regarding legal options and the litigation process.
Despite federal researchers finding that areas where HAWK signals were installed, pedestrian crashes were reduced by 69 percent on a multitude of roads with a high rate of pedestrian injury.
According to an analysis by the Arizona Republic, the deadliest places for a Phoenix pedestrian to get into an accident that warrants the help of a Glendale, AZ lawyer, including the following:
- 27th Avenue just north of Bethany Home Road, with 6 deaths and 4 serious injuries
- McDowell Road, from 40th to 43rd streets, with 5 deaths and 8 serious injuries
- Northern Avenue close to 12th Street, with 5 deaths and 2 serious injuries
- 7th Avenue near Buckeye Road, with 4 deaths and 6 serious injuries
- Indian School Road, from 7th to 12th streets, with 4 deaths and 9 serious injuries
- Indian School Road, from 19th to 23rd Avenues, with 3 deaths and 12 serious injuries
- The area including 35th and Glendale Avenues, with 3 deaths and 12 serious injuries
- Camelback Road, from 19th Avenue to Interstate 17, with 3 deaths and 13 serious injuries
- 27th Avenue and Indian School Road, with 3 deaths and 10 serious injuries
- 19th Avenue close to Dunlap Avenue, with 2 deaths and 8 serious injuries
- Thomas Road, from Central Avenue to 3rd Street, with 2 deaths and 8 serious injuries
In the event of a Glendale, AZ pedestrian being seriously injured or killed due to a vehicle crash, a pedestrian accident lawyer should be contacted to assess the victim and/or their family’s claims for injuries and to discuss potential legal remedies.
For a highly rated pedestrian accident lawyer in Glendale, AZ, contact the Law Office of Paul Englander, PLC.