Wrongful Death Lawyer Phoenix AZ Families Recommend Discusses Filing a Wrongful Death Claim
When you lose a loved one, you may need the help of a wrongful death lawyer in Phoenix, AZ. Losing a loved one can be a tragic and stressful time for any family. But when that death is the result of another party’s negligent or reckless behavior, the grief is often even more amplified. Not only are survivors left with the huge emotional loss, but they are also often left with overwhelming financial losses caused by the victim’s death. In these cases, Arizona law allows survivors to pursue wrongful death claims against the person who is responsible for the accident or incident that killed the victim.
At the Law Office of Paul Englander, PLC, our wrongful death lawyers have been advocating for victims and their families for more than 35 years in successfully obtaining the financial compensation our clients deserved for the losses they suffered.
Types of Wrongful Death Claim
There are different types of fatal accidents or incidents which may qualify for wrongful death claims. These include:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian/Bicycle accidents
- Medical error or malpractice
- Premises liability
- Work-related injury or illness
- Premises liability
- Defective or dangerous product
There are some important factors you should know regarding a Phoenix, AZ wrongful death claim. The first is which survivors are able to pursue such an action. The following survivors, in order, may file a wrongful death claim:
- Children (or grandchildren if adult child is no longer living)
- Parents (if the victim was not married or had no children)
- Siblings (if the victim was not married, had no children, and parents are both deceased)
- Any other party who can show they were emotionally and financially dependent on the victim
- The estate of the victim, through a representative, may also file a wrongful death claim. Any money awarded would be divided among survivors.
There are a number of types of losses that survivors can include in the claim, such as:
- Costs for any medical care the victim received before he or she passed
- Loss of income and benefits the victim would have provided for survivors
- Costs for the loss of care the victim provided (i.e. stay-at-home parent for small children)
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Pain and suffering the victim may have endured from the injuries before their death
- Emotional anguish
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of parental guidance
- Loss of consortium
In some cases, such as a drunk driving accident or intentional death, the survivors may also pursue punitive damages against the at-fault party. Punitive damages serve two purposes. The first is to punish the at-fault party for their actions. The second is to send a message to society that this type of behavior is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
Let a Wrongful Death Lawyer Phoenix, Arizona Clients Trust Help
At the Law Office of Paul Englander, PLC, we understand that no amount of compensation will ever make up for the death of your loved one. But we also understand that a wrongful death lawsuit is often the only way survivors have of obtaining any kind of justice for their death.
Call a wrongful death lawyer in Phoenix, AZ today for a free consultation and to find out how we may be able to help.